Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Very Faery Interview with The Story Siren

And here we are again, with another Very Faery Interview. This week, we have the famous Kristi of The Story Siren joining us today. Per normal, I’ve allowed three characters from my book, The Iron King, to conduct the interview. (Just a reminder, Meghan is the half-faery/half-human protagonist, Puck/Robin Goodfellow is her best friend, and Ash is the son of Queen Mab of the Unseelie Court.) Meghan, Ash, and Puck, take it away.


Meghan: Hi Kristi! Wow, you have over 800 followers on your blog! Can you tell us a little about how you got into blogging in the first place? How long have you been doing this, and who has been your inspiration?

I know, 800 some followers! I still can’t believe it, it’s so out of this world, in my opinion, but very awesome.

I sort of fell into blogging. I don’t have an exciting story to tell about it, it’s actually pretty lame. I used to have a personal blog, and that was actually really boring. I’m not an interesting person at all. I did a few book “reviews” on there, every once in a while. That part was actually fun. I’ve always been an insane reader. Hitting the library up once a week, reading like a crazy person. Put two and two together, and wham you’ve got a book blog.

Puck: What would you rather have over for tea; a glaistig or a kelpie?
Author: *burying face in hands* Puck …
Puck: What? She’s a Siren, its right there on her blog. A Siren is a water monster that lures sailors overboard to drown. She should know these things.
Author: Ask another question.
Puck: Nope! I wanna know. So, Kristi: glaistig or kelpie? (Hint: they both like luring humans underwater.)

I personally know a glaistig and a kelpie and honstely, I wouldn’t have either over for tea. They are so very boring and competitive, always talking numbers. I’m really not that interested in hearing about the hot guys that they’ve recently seduced and, well, ultimately devoured. But you know, glaistigs do have better table manners.

Puck: Not the ones I know.

Ash: Everyone has favorite heroes, but who are your favorite YA villains? Has there been a villain that creeped you out, scared you so much you couldn’t read the book at night, or made you wish you could jump into the book just to knock them out?

Oh, what an awesome question! ... that I have no idea how to answer! Let’s see here...

Scary villain wise, I would have to vote for the Vours, from The Devouring. I’m not even sure what those things are, but they scare the crap out of me. SCARY!

Meghan: I love your big rottie, Xander! Where did you get him, what are his best tricks, and is there something he does that you just want to brag about? Also, has he ever eaten any of your books?

He came from a breeder in southern Indiana, right outside of Lousiville. I’ve always wanted a Rottie, but I wanted to make sure I got one from a well respected breeder. Xander’s dad was actually a service dog! So that’s why he’s so smart. He gets really upset that every rottie portrayed in the media is usually ripping someone or something to shreds. Xander isn’t like that at all.

He can pick up his own toys. And he does. He also thinks he is a lap dog even though he weighs more than I do. He loves to go swimming and hang out with his cousins, Tia and Toben. He’s also a bed and cover hog! He will be three on Sept. 29!

He has never eaten any of my books! He knows better.

Puck: Okay, you’ve built a castle with a deep moat around it to protect your books from … uh … the terrible Book Burning army that is on its way. What do you put in the moat? (Notice how all my questions are water based.)

Sharks with frickin’ lazer beams attached to their heads. HA! Did anyone else get that? Or am I just that lame. But really I’m going to go with the sharks with the lazer beams.

Puck: We don’t have any sharks with lazer beams. We do have … sea bass. And they're irritable.

Ash: If you go back in time to when you first started your blog, what advice would you give your younger self?

Just be yourself, you can’t make everyone like you. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Stand up for what you believe in, don’t be afraid to hurt someone’s feelings or make them mad... que number one again... you can’t make everyone like you!

Most importantly: HAVE FUN!

Meghan: Tell us five things about yourself.

1. I am an aries
2. I have two younger sisters.
3. I’ve delivered a puppy, a lamb and a calf.
4. I’ve never broken a bone or had a cavity.
5. I love to play board games.

Puck: What character are you most like in Disney’s The Little Mermaid? Ariel, Flounder, Sebastian, Scuttle, Ursula, Triton, Max, ect…

I’d say Sebastian. Despite how I come across sometimes.. I’m a very mature and responsible person. HA! No really I am. I’m very responsible. But yet at the same time I have a huge soft spot. I like people to be happy and help make people happy. Just like Sebastian.

Ash: The Zombie Apocalypse has struck. The undead are filling the streets and beating down your doors. You must flee, but you can only take three things with you. What are they?

1. J (my hunka hunka burnin’ love)
2. Xander
3. Probably a knife too.... or a baseball bat.

(Of course I’m going to assume the Zombies have no interest in my books, just my brains, so they will be safe for the time being.)


Author: Thanks, Kristi, for your patience, I mean participation. Is there anything you’d like to ask Meghan, Ash, or Puck?

If you had to live your life as an animal, what would it be and why?

Meghan: Ummm, I’m told I’m loyal, feisty, and stubborn, so maybe a terrier of some sort? I could live inside and do nothing but play and eat and get petted. Not a bad life, if you ask me.

Puck: A raven, because they’re smart and crafty, and can fly away if things get too rough. And I could sit on telephone poles and drop things on people walking underneath.

Ash: I’ve always admired the wolf’s strength and ability to survive, even in the harshest climates. So I’d probably go with wolf.

Puck: A wolf? Really? Cause I was thinking more … wild boar. Bristly, bad-tempered, unpredictable? Really stink—uh oh. Get away, ice-boy. No fair using swords! Meghan, help!

Meghan: I don’t know why you keep provoking him if you know he’s going to do that.



Want to know more about Meghan and the boys from THE IRON KING? Visit my website at www.juliekagawa.com

7 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    Thanks for the great interview & thanks for sharing Kristi.
    I love your fun & informative interviews Julie!
    All the best,
    twitter: @RKCharron
    xoxo
    PS - Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these interviews! They're sooo funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lolz!!!!!!!!!!...... sdaly this book made me cry!!!!!!!! ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Ash! Give him your all! At least you have Mehgan on your side... I LOVE YOU ASH!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww no one likes puck? hes the funny one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...with freaking LASER BEAMS!!!! awesome!

    ReplyDelete