Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Chicks

Sigh.

It seems like only yesterdays my chickies were tiiiiiiiiiiiny balls of fluff, peeping and running around the office.


























Take a look at them now.













































































They do grow up so fast, don't they? Obviously, they are no longer in my office but in their nice coop outside, as my office was beginning to smell like a barnyard. I've been watching them grow up, and though they look nearly the same, I have started to pick out some different quirks and personalities. (Yes, chickens can have personalities.)


The little girl on the right is the friendliest of the bunch, as in she is the one who is always sitting on me and wanting to be close. She is paler then the others, having more white feathers, so she is easily recognizable.


























Remember Trouble? The chick who decided I was her mother hen and protested loudly when I put her back in the box?



This is her now.



























Not much has changed. She is the biggest, reddest, bossiest chick of the group, and the one who doesn't mind if I pet her. She is also the first one to the feeding bowl, and the first one to snatch any treat I offer. The reason her picture is so close was that she was sitting on my knee, pecking at the camera when I was trying to take it. Nope, nothing has changed at all.



























This girl, though you can't really see it, has a speckled white belly, and she is the explorer of the bunch. While the rest of them are content to hang around, sitting on me or pecking grass when I let them out of the coop, I'm constantly having to herd this one back to the others. She always looks so annoyed when I do, though, peeping indignantly all the way back.



So yes, that is my flock. I might be a crazy chicken lady now, but at least they keep me amused.


The girls.


17 comments:

  1. I'll be a crazy chicken lady with you too! My girls went out into their coop a few weeks ago. Once they are fully feathered they look so pretty. Not cute fluffballs anymore, but still lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my GOSH!! They did get big fast!! But they're beautiful!! Loooove them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so cute!! :DDD Congrats on some beautiful hens! I love that you've started to see personalities in them already. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great & they're HUGE! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny...we r about to get about 15 at our little hobby farm...my monkey #1 & #2 r SO excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap O_O I did NOT know they grew that fast! That's nuts! You are so many kinds of awesome, Julie. Now I want to be a crazy chicken lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just make sure you worm them, don't want them kicking the bucket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, Julie! They're looking pretty awesome to me. I don't suppose they might make a possible appearance in your books? You know, Puck setting them loose or using glamour to, oh, I don't know, cause a crazy chicken attack or something? Lol, sounds like a good plan for a prank for him. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. They're huge. But still really cute. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted chickens, but with four kids and two dogs, that's work enough. My husband has convinced me to lower my ambitions to just buying farm fresh eggs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww they sure grow up fast! ^___^
    #ChickieLove

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww, how cute! I've literally grown up with chickens and roosters because my grandfather used to raise them and I absolutely love them!!! I had a favorite named Blue who was always sad, so that's why I named him Blue. He was the only one who wouldn't peck me. Unfortunately, we had to sell them, so I had to let Blue go.
    P.S. TEAM PUCK FOREVER!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey guys I'm back for just a second. Warning: If you are a Team Ash, DO NOT READ THIS POST!! I really need all those Team Puck fans out there to give me some help. I need a huge shout out, because I am being challenged by a Team Ash in another post, so it's kind of like a duel between me and her. Obviously, I have to win for Puck, so, if I could have some encouragement from all my Team Puck comrades, I'd really appreciate it!!! Thanks!!!
    P.S. TEAM PUCK FOREVER!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Team Puck 4 evzz!! :D

      Delete
    2. HEY ALEXIS I am the one who called you out, read the longest post on "Julie Kagawa:Blood of Eden website stills" to see what I have to say about this post,
      Yours Psychotically,
      The Wackness.2

      Delete
  14. Wow... they did grow up fast!! But they're beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete